Health & Safety While Abroad

The UCLA International Education Office holds the health and safety of its students as its highest priority.

In order to better prepare students traveling abroad on our international programs, the UCLA International Education Office has compiled a list of important resources for students to review before their departure. These resources are meant to be a supplement to the students own health & safety research, as well as the advice of their individual physical and mental health providers and physicians.

*Note: some of the resources mentioned on this page are not UC- sponsored, and we cannot ensure the accuracy of the information.

Student Participation Agreement

As part of the Global Internship Program registration process, you will agree to stipulations in a comprehensive participation agreement and sign a waiver of liability. Please take some time to read this document.

Getting Ready to Go Abroad

Prior to departure, students should take the time to learn about the potential health or safety challenges in their study abroad location. Students should also research ways to manage their current health conditions while in a foreign country to better make informed and responsible decisions while abroad. Here are a few websites students should visit to help them learn more about their program location(s) and to prepare for their time abroad:

1) The U.S. Department of State Travelers Checklist provides step-by-step advice for how to prepare for the abroad experience. All students should also register in the STEP Program before they depart. This allows them to receive important safety information about their program location and helps the State Department contact them in the event of an emergency.

2) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Studying Abroad website provides pre-departure tips for study abroad students.

3) Study Abroad Student Handbook provides a wealth of resources and advice in the health and safety section, including questions students should ask themselves to make sure they are prepared.

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

A traveler’s health insurance policy is provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for Global Internship Program participants. Coverage is for the dates of the program only, and CISI will email you an insurance card shortly before the start of the program. Please keep this card with you at all times, create a CISI online account, and download the CISI mobile app before you travel.

CISI may have pre-approved facilities and physicians in your location. You can contact CISI to schedule an appointment 24 hours or more in advance at these facilities to have medical care pre-paid upon arrival. The CISI phone number when outside the U.S. is: +1-603-952-2660 (collect).

If you do not use CISI pre-approved facilities, you will be responsible for paying up front all fees incurred as a result of an accident or medical emergency, which may occur while on the program. Be sure to keep all receipts for medical treatment in order to file a claim with CISI upon your return to the U.S. You can access your account information on your insurance card or on the CISI website in order to  file a claim upon your return.

If you are traveling before or after the UCLA program, we recommend that you arrange for independent traveler’s health insurance coverage as a precaution.

Physical and Mental Health Resources

Maintaining good health is imperative when traveling and studying overseas. It is important that students actively maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to maximize their experience abroad. Below are some tips on how to remain physically and mentally healthy while traveling. Students should consider all of the following topics: mental health, medical care, prescriptions, special needs and accommodations.

Mental Health-Related Issues While Abroad

Traveling and studying in another country are demanding activities that often compound or exacerbate both physical and emotional issues. In particular, if students are concerned about their use of alcohol and other controlled drugs or if they have an emotional or physical health concern, they should address it honestly before making plans to travel and study abroad.

  • Before you go: It is important that you take steps to recognize and understand your own mental health needs and concerns before you depart for your program. The UCLA Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) office is an excellent resource for UCLA students to make a plan for coping with potential challenges abroad.
  • You should set up an appointment with UCLA CAPS before you leave for your program to talk about your concerns, to discuss whether or not you are ready for study abroad, and if so, to create a mental health plan for your time abroad.
  • Students may also prearrange some psychological counseling sessions in English through your travelers health insurance, CISI.
  • The CDC also provides some tips about how to form a mental health plan for your trip abroad on their Mental Health & Travel page.
  • While you’re abroad: Please be aware that even though you will be miles away from home, that you can still get help. If you feel that you or another student on your program are having a mental health emergency please contact the 24/7 on call staff member from your local internship program provider, go immediately to a local hospital, or call UCLA CAPS 24/7 hotline. To call CAPS from abroad, dial 001-310-825-0768. Depending on your situation, CAPS may also be able to provide psychological counseling sessions by phone while you are abroad. 
  • My SSP is a free and confidential service to support the emotional health and wellbeing of students studying abroad. My SSP provides real-time chat or phone call with a professional (24/7, no appointment needed).
  • Mobility International provides several excellent resources and tip sheets on how to better prepare yourself so that you can successfully study abroad with a mental health condition.

Medical Services

  • Before you depart for your program, you should schedule an appointment with the UCLA Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center Travel Clinic to make sure you have all of the correct medications and immunizations you need to travel abroad.
  • Another excellent resource for travelers abroad is the Centers for Disease Controls (CDC) Travelers Health website. They also provide packing checklists specific to each country.
  • Information about local health services will also be provided after arrival at your study site. Please keep UCLA IEO and onsite staff aware of any and all medical issues that arise during your Global Internship Program.

Prescriptions, Vitamins, and Other Medicines

  • Students who regularly take any medication should take an adequate supply of it to last for the entire period abroad.
  • If medications are perishable, please contact UCLA IEO before departure to see if preparations can be made in your housing location.
  • Students should label all medications and keep them in their original containers that clearly show the prescription and your name.
  • Consult the embassy or consulate of the country or countries where you will be studying, as well as the International Narcotics Control Board, if you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into that country.
  • Some common medications in the U.S., such as Adderall, Concerta & Ritalin, can be illegal in other countries. If you learn your medication is illegal in the country you’ll be studying in, please discuss a plan with your physician/psychiatrist.
  • Bring a letter from your doctor listing your medications, the generic ingredients and an explanation of why you need them.
  • Please review this helpful medication tip sheet from Mobility International for more information about traveling with medications.

Students with Qualifying Disabilities and/or Medical Conditions

Information for Students with Disabilities:

UCLA is committed to ensuring equal access to educational opportunities for students with disabilities. To provide this access, the Center for Accessible Education (CAE) facilitates academic accommodations for regularly enrolled, matriculating students with disabilities.

How is Disability Defined?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. This includes people who have a record of such impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability. It also includes individuals who do not have a disability, but are regarded as having a disability.

I am requesting accommodations abroad. What should I do?

  • If you are a CAE-registered student with a disability and will require accommodations abroad, please notify UCLA IEO and your CAE counselor in order to discuss what accommodations are available in your selected program.
  • If you are not a CAE-registered student, you must request accommodations via CAE in order to determine eligibility.

Please note the following:

  • Institutions abroad may not be obligated to implement your accommodations abroad as approved at UCLA. If you have concerns about access to your accommodations abroad, please notify the CAE office and UCLA IEO by the deadline listed in your application form so that we may determine what is feasible given the location of your program.
  • If the accommodation requested is required in order for you to fully participate – and the accommodation is not available – please note that you may be required to select an alternate Global Internship Program destination or study abroad program.

Safety Resources and Advice

Please remember that no place on earth is perfectly safe. Any travel carries with it certain inherent risks. In most instances, many of the challenges of travel abroad can be avoided by taking certain precautions. Please read the following safety tips before you depart for your Global Internship Program. 

Stay in Contact

Make arrangements to contact your family periodically. Check in when you arrive to let your family know you have arrived safely. If you leave town to sight-see during free time and weekends, please let the on-site staff  know where you are going. 

Sexual Violence & Harassment

Any student who has been the victim of a sexual assault or harassment while abroad can utilize UCLA campus resources for support and counseling. Sexual violence may also be reported to UCLA IEO (if the student is comfortable doing so) or directly to campus authorities for legal and/or disciplinary investigation and action. Please note that when reporting sexual harassment or violence, UCLA will do everything possible to maintain privacy and will only share information to those on a need to know basis; however, confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.

Where to go for help

Visit the UCLA Sexual Violence Prevention & Response website for guidance on seeking help or filing a Title IX report/complaint.

Support Services

  • CARE: Advocacy Office for Sexual and Gender-Based Violence and Misconduct is part of the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center, and can be reached at (310) 206-2465; A confidential advocate is available.
  • Confidential support, guidance, and advocacy for students are available from Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Request support by calling the 24-hour hotline at CAPS, (310) 825-0768.
  • The office of Student Legal Services also provides confidential assistance to students; you can find more information on their website or by calling (310) 825-9894.

Options for reporting

Respondent services

  • For students accused of sexual assault or misconduct: The Office of the Dean of Students provides respondent support services, which include providing appropriate referrals, assisting in navigating campus and external processes, and other relevant services as needed.

Safety on the Street

Use the same common sense traveling overseas that you would at home. Be especially cautious in crowded subways, train stations, elevators, tourist sites, marketplaces, festivals, and avoid areas known to be risky within cities.

  • Always remain aware of your surroundings.
  • Do not use shortcuts, narrow alleys, or poorly-lit streets.
  • Avoid traveling alone.
  • Avoid public demonstrations and other civil disturbances.
  • Do not discuss travel plans or other personal matters with strangers.
  • Avoid scam artists. Beware of strangers who approach you offering bargains or offering to be your guide.
  • Beware of pickpockets. They often have an accomplice who will:
    • jostle you
    • ask you for directions or the time
    • point to something spilled on your clothing
    • distract you by creating a disturbance
  • Wear the shoulder strap of your bag across your chest and walk with the bag away from the street to avoid drive-by purse snatchers.
  • Try to seem purposeful when you move about. Even if you are lost, act as if you know where you are going. When possible, ask directions only from individuals in authority.
  • Learn a few phrases in the local language so you can signal your need for help, the police, or a doctor. Make a note of emergency telephone numbers you may need: police, fire, your hotel, your program’s emergency contact/number, and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • If you are confronted, do not fight back. Give up your valuables.

Safety on Public Transportation

Taxis: Only take taxis clearly identified with official markings. Beware of unmarked cabs. Make sure the meter is running. Keep a list of reputable companies and contact numbers with you.

Buses/Trains: Be vigilant when taking public transit.

  • If you see your way being blocked by a stranger and another person is very close to you from behind, move away. This can happen in the corridor of the train or on the platform or station.
  • Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.
  • When taking overnight trains, lock your compartment. If it cannot be locked securely, or if you are sharing a compartment with other travelers, tie down your luggage, strap your valuables to you, and sleep on top of them as much as possible.
  • Do not be afraid to alert authorities if you feel threatened in any way.