A non–UC program is a study abroad program offered by a third-party or institution outside of the UC system (i.e. Semester at Sea, NYU Study Abroad, etc.). This page provides general information you should know if you are considering, or have enrolled in a non-UC study abroad program.

A Guide to non-UC Study Abroad Programs

UCLA does not promote nor oversee any non-UC study abroad program. Students are strongly encouraged to review all available policies, provided on this page and on the left-side menu, before applying to a non-UC program to understand how this process works.

Our IEO advisors cannot advise on any non-UC program, their application, or their courses abroad. Please connect with the respective third-party or institution for program and/or application questions, or assistance.

Undergraduate Students

UCLA undergraduate students who participate on a non-UC study abroad program must register for a Planned Academic Leave (PAL) immediately after being accepted by their program, and no later than 1 month before the start of the UCLA term they will be away.

A PAL is a UCLA leave of absence status specifically for students who study abroad on non-UC programs. This helps students avoid readmission paperwork and the UCLA re-admission fee.

A PAL approval ensures that the UCLA Registrar Office is informed of your study abroad, you will not be charged UCLA fees for the term(s) you are away, and you will receive enrollment passes for the term you return to UCLA.

You will require the following information to register for PAL:

  1. Non-UC Study Abroad Acceptance Letter
  2. Passport Copy
  3. Syllabi or as much available course information of the courses you hope to take abroad

There is no fee to register for PAL. Your PAL request will be reviewed in 3-4 weeks by the UCLA IEO and your College/School. You will receive an email when approved or denied.

Graduate Students

Graduate students should consult with the Graduate Division to determine whether there are requirements when attending a non-UC study abroad program. Notifying the International Education Office is still recommended so we know where and when you are studying abroad.