This page is dedicated to helping students better understand academic credit on non-UC programs. We discuss how courses are transferred, where to mail official transcripts, how to satisfy UCLA degree requirements, and where coursework appears on a student’s UCLA record.

Coursework Transfer

Coursework for non-UC programs is not pre-approved, nor guaranteed, to earn credit at UCLA. Coursework will be considered for transfer credit by the UCLA Undergraduate Admissions Office upon program completion and submission of an official transcript. Students should carefully select their courses and consult with their UCLA academic advisor(s) as needed for guidance.

For courses to be eligible for transfer:

  • Courses must be academic in nature;
  • Coursework must be similar to that offered at UCLA;
  • Students must receive a C equivalent or higher;
  • Students must submit an official university transcript*;

Transcript Note*: It is the responsibility of a student to ensure their program provides an acceptable transcript. Courses that are not properly transcribed may not transfer. UCLA will only accept an official, sealed transcript from a degree-granting college or university. The institution must be an accredited US institution of higher learning or a foreign institution recognized by their ministry of education. All credits must post as the institutions own degree credit, not as transfer credit.

Non-UC Study Abroad Transcripts

All non-UC program participants must submit an official transcript to the UCLA Admissions Office. See below for methods of submission.


Electronic transcripts are the preferred method of submission and are accepted from the following vendors:

  • Credentials, Inc. – TranscriptsNetwork
  • E-Scrip
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Naviance
  • Parchment
  • Scoir

UCLA Admissions must receive your transcript directly from the transcript vendor. Transcripts send via email will not be accepted.

Click here to learn more about submitting electronic transcripts. 


If your school is unable to send electronic transcripts via the approved vendors listed above, paper transcripts can be mailed to:

UCLA Undergraduate Admission
Attn: Transcripts
1147 Murphy Hall, Box 951436
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1436

Note: Paper documents will only be considered official if they are sent in a sealed school envelope with a stamp or signature on the flap of the envelope.

Satisfying Degree Requirements

Once your official transcript has been processed and courses have been approved for credit, the units will appear on your DARs as transfer credit. At that point, you may petition with the respective UCLA Department(s) to satisfy major, minor, G.E, or any other UCLA degree requirement(s). Consult with the individual UCLA department/advisor on the petition process.

UCLA Transcript

If approved for transfer credit, coursework will appear as upper-division or lower-division units on your UCLA transcript – grades and course titles will not appear. Non-UC study abroad coursework does not factor into your UCLA GPA.

Your course titles and grades will appear separately on your non-UC study abroad program transcript. If you are applying for graduate school, you will need to submit your UCLA and your non-UC study abroad program transcripts.