Eligibility Questions

Who’s eligible for UCEAP?In order to be eligible for UCEAP, you must be an undergraduate or graduate student at UCLA.

What is the minimum GPA requirement?The GPA requirement varies by program, so be sure to consult your program’s requirements.
Do I need to be fluent in a foreign language?Many UCEAP countries have options that do not require prior knowledge of a foreign language and offer a variety of courses taught in English. Likewise, some programs only offer coursework in the language of the host country.

Students interested in studying a foreign language abroad should note that EAP also offers many Language and Culture Programs with minimal language prerequisites. Consult an EAP counselor for details.

Can I apply if I’m a transfer student?Yes, it is possible for transfer students to study abroad! Given the tight timeframe, it is essential that transfer students plan ahead. Application deadlines are often due 6-12 months in advance of the program start.
Can I study at UCLA if I am from abroad?If you are a registered student at one of UCEAP’s host universities you may be eligible to attend UCLA as a non-degree reciprocity student. For more information, please visit our UCEAP Reciprocity page. Students from foreign universities not affiliated with UCEAP should review the information for International Students.
Can I visit more than one country through UCEAP?Yes, students often participate in more than one UCEAP program. However, this takes careful planning. Check with your UCEAP counselor for any conditions.

Application Questions

When are UCEAP applications due?Selection is on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are accepted up until a program’s application deadline. Please check out UCLA’s EAP Application Deadlines for all countries.

Where can I access the UCEAP application?You can access the application on UCEAP’s home page by clicking the Apply Now button.
When should I start planning for UCEAP?As early as possible. Determining the right program and completing the application process takes time. Application deadlines for certain programs are almost an entire year before departure and priority is given to early applicants, so start planning now.

Also, many programs have specific language and other academic prerequisites. Consider general breadths, elective and major requirements which can be completed abroad.

General Travel & UCEAP Extension Questions

Can I leave early or do I have to travel with the group?Students can make their own transportation arrangements. Some students do travel in the destination country or region before the start of the program. Please note that you are responsible for all arrangements until the official start date of your program.

Can I stay in the country after the program ends?Yes, if your visa allows. Keep in mind that once the program has ended, you are responsible for all arrangements. Some students stay an extra few weeks or months to travel. You can purchase up to three additional months of health insurance through UCEAP for coverage outside the U.S. during this period.
Can I extend my participation once abroad?Yes, many programs have an option to extend participation. If your program has an extension option, you must complete the Departmental and College Pre-Approval to Extend form as part of your application. This does not obligate you to extend but facilitates the process should you decide to extend while abroad.

Academic Questions

Will the courses I take abroad count toward graduation?With careful planning and advising from your college/school and departmental advisor, you can make normal progress towards graduation.
Will my units and grades transfer?UCEAP courses are all transferrable, but check with your School/College for any unit limitations on transferrable courses, as well as major or senior residency. The College allows a maximum of 56 UC quarter units; additional courses will receive course credit and can be used to satisfy degree requirements, but will not earn unit or grade credit. Please consult your College/School or department regarding the satisfaction of College/School or major requirements. Note that it can take up to three months for coursework to appear on your UCLA records.

For more information, please visit the Academics Page.

How many units do I take while abroad?

You are required to take a full-time course load while abroad. This is usually 3-5 courses per semester.
Do I have to go for a full year?Many students choose courses outside their major while abroad and explore new areas, develop their language skills, fulfill GE requirements, or take classes toward a second major or a minor. However, some host institutions, such as those in the United Kingdom, require that you take most of your courses in your major field.
What happens to my status at UCLA while I am on EAP?You continue to be enrolled and registered at UCLA while you are abroad. Before your departure, the UCLA UCEAP office notifies the Registrar’s office that you will be participating in EAP.
I want to graduate the quarter I return from abroad. Is that possible?It may be possible to walk in the commencement ceremony if your program ends early enough. However, it can take up to three months for your grades to transfer to UCLA from abroad. You must set your official graduation date for at least one quarter after the program finishes. UCEAP can write a letter, at your request, to explain your situation to graduate schools and other programs.
What happens if I want to quit early?By withdrawing from UCEAP you are also withdrawing from UCLA. Your UCLA school or college has the final authority to determine the conditions of readmission. You will be held responsible for any financial aid that was advanced to you, as well as payments due to UCEAP.

Financial Questions

How much does it cost to go on EAP?

There is a specific budget for each program, which includes the same UC education and registration fees that you would normally pay for a similar period at UCLA, a mandatory insurance fee, room, board, books, round-trip transportation, on-site orientation, intensive language program expenses (where applicable), and personal expenses.
Will my financial aid apply and cover all my costs?

UCEAP students are eligible for full financial aid. Students that wish to receive financial aid should submit their FAFSA by the governments deadline in March. The Financial Aid Office will readjust your award based on your actual program costs. There are also many Scholarships available.
What types of financial aid are available for UCEAP students?All UCEAP students are eligible for need-based EAP Scholarships — there is NO APPLICATION process for this. In addition, students are eligible to receive all forms of conventional financial aid at UCLA–grants, scholarships, subsidized and unsubsidized loanswith the exception of work-study, which may be converted to loans. Some countries (UK and Australia) allow international students to work up to 20 hours per week. Most other countries do not allow foreign students to work.
Who are my finance contacts at the University-wide Office of EAP (UOEAP)?Please refer to your EAP General Guide.
To whom do I pay registration fees?

Checks should be made payable to The Regents of the University of California and mailed to:

Universitywide Office, Education Abroad Program, 6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200, Goleta, CA 93117-5823

Please refer to the payment schedule included in your Finances portion of your Participation Forms and Instructions.

If you receive financial aid, your fees will be deducted from your financial aid and you will be responsible for any remaining balances. Your registration fees will not appear on your UCLA BAR statement.

How will I receive the financial aid funds?

You must fill out the UCEAP EFT form and return it to UOEAP for direct deposits. You must fill out this form even if you are registered for Bruin Direct Deposit. Be sure to attend a financial aid workshop for more details. Students are notified of upcoming workshops via email.

Who do I contact if I change my address?

Your UOEAP financial coordinator, Operations Specialist, and UCEAP counselor. Also, you must update your contact information in MyEAP.
Do I need a Power of Attorney while abroad?

Power of Attorney is not required, however, may be useful depending on the management of your finances while abroad. Be sure to attend the UCEAP financial aid workshop for more information. Students are notified of upcoming workshops via email.
Do I keep a bank account in the U.S. or start one abroad?This varies by country. Be sure to read your EAP County Guide to make the best decision.
What if I extend from a semester to a year program while abroad?

Your financial aid package will be revised once the extension has been approved by UOEAP.
When do I receive the financial aid disbursements?

As disbursement dates for various forms of aid vary, students are encouraged to attend a financial aid workshop. Students are notified of upcoming workshops via email.