UCLA Travel Study Student Guide

The following Student Guide provides essential information for all participants on UCLA Travel Study. All students are responsible for reviewing and understanding the Student Guide.

Registration Portal

The Registration Portal is the most comprehensive source of Travel Study information and will be updated throughout the year. Please check the Registration Portal regularly.

As a registered Travel Study program participant, you can access the  your online application for important program details and update some of your personal information.

Through the Registration Portal, participants can:

  • Upload a digital photo and copy of your passport
  • Switch from one Travel Study program to another
  • Cancel your participation
  • Update your passport information
  • Update your health history
  • Select a roommate
  • Learn about your next steps!


MyUCLA is UCLA’s online student records system. As a Travel Study participant, you now have access to MyUCLA.

Through the MyUCLA, participants can:

  • View and update third-party authorization
  • View course enrollments (beginning March)
  • Pay Travel Study final balance (early March – April 1)
  • View grades and order transcripts (beginning October)
New to MyUCLA

For first-time users of MyUCLA, you will need your UCLA ID number to create a login ID and password. Your UCLA ID number is included in your Travel Study confirmation e-mail.

Lost ID or Password

If you forget your MyUCLA login ID or password, you can look up your login ID and reset your password at the MyUCLA website.



A non-refundable $300 deposit is required at the time of registration in order to secure your space on a Travel Study program. The $300 deposit will be applied to your Travel Study program fee.

Final Payment

Final payment for your Travel Study program is due April 1, 2022. You will not receive a paper billing statement in the mail. E-mail reminders will be sent to you.

You may review your balance on MyUCLA beginning in March. You will need your UCLA ID Number to access MyUCLA for the first time (please see the section on MyUCLA above).

The final payment deadline is deferred for eligible Financial Aid students (who have completed all of the financial aid requirements, documentation, processes, etc.).

UCLA financial aid will disburse directly to the student’s billing account. Visiting financial aid recipients must submit a Non-UCLA Financial Aid Agreement Form to info@ieo.ucla.edu by April 1st, 2022 to defer the final payment. Visiting financial aid recipients must pay their program balance in full at least ten days prior to the program start date.

Students eligible for Veteran Benefits should submit a Veteran Benefits Agreement Form by April 1st, 2022 in order to defer the final payment. Please also contact the Veteran Benefits Coordinator Ryan Redding by email at vabenefit@registrar.ucla.edu.

Cancellation and Refunds

Cancellation Policy

If you cancel your registration, the following applies:

  • The $300 deposit is non-refundable
  • Paid program fees (minus the $300 deposit) are refundable until April 6th, 2022
  • No refunds are available after April 6, 2022
  • Cancellation and refund policies apply to ALL Financial Aid Students as well
  • Failure to cancel prior to the April 6 deadline will result in a bill for the full program fee. Financial aid is not available for students who cancel their program.

In order to cancel once you have registered, please access the Registration Portal and select the “Cancel My Registration” button. After April 6, students must submit a cancellation form to the International Education Office. Please do not enroll in a Travel Study program unless you are sure you intend to participate.

In the event that Travel Study must cancel a program, all registered students will be notified immediately and given a refund of all recoverable cost. Full details will be provided should a cancellation be necessary.

Withdrawals after a program has begun

UCLA discourages students from withdrawing after a program has begun. Successful programs require the full participation of all students, and we hope students are prepared to complete the program. However, we recognize that, due to unforeseen circumstances, some students may need to leave a program early. In these rare instances, students must meet with their program director and complete a withdrawal form obtained from the UCLA International Education Office. If a petition to withdraw is approved, students must vacate the program housing within 72 hours.

Courses and Grading

Required Courses

Each Travel Study program has a required course curriculum. Travel Study students are automatically enrolled in this curriculum by the UCLA International Education Office. These courses are mandatory and cannot be dropped without terminating your participation in the program. You can review your course enrollments beginning in March on MyUCLA.

Optional Fee-Bearing Courses

Some Travel Study programs offer an optional 199 Directed Research course in addition to the required curriculum. The Optional Course registration will begin March 1, 2022. You can access your application on the Travel Study registration portal to register.

UCLA students may add or drop the optional course as follows:

  • Add course – All optional courses require written instructor consent. Please contact the instructor to discuss the details of your project; if approved, please forward written approval as well as the Optional Course Registration Form to info@ieo.ucla.edu. You can enroll up until the Friday of the second week of your program.
  • Drop course – drop by August 26th, 2022 on MyUCLA to receive a refund for the optional course; After August 26th, optional courses may be dropped with no refund until September 9, 2022, the last day of Summer Session C.

Non-UCLA Students must submit the Optional Course Registration Form, along with written proof of instructor consent, to info@ieo.ucla.edu by the Friday of the second week of their program in order to enroll.

Optional Course Fees: $279 per unit for UC Undergrad Students /$349 per unit for UC Grad Students/$360 per unit for Visiting Students. Optional Course fees are due by August 26, 2022.

For more information about required and optional courses for your program, please visit the curriculum section of the program website.

GPA Requirement

Students are required to be in good academic standing at their home institution during the spring quarter (or semester) prior to participation in Travel Study. Failure to do so may result in withdrawal from the program and cancellation of course enrollment.

Grading Basis

UCLA Travel Study programs are of a serious academic nature. Grades transfer automatically to other UC’s and they become part of your permanent academic record.

All Travel Study courses must be taken for a letter grade. Auditing and pass/no pass are not allowed for Travel Study programs.

Grades and Transcripts

Grades should be available via MyUCLA after October 1.

  • UCLA Students: Summer grades are usually posted to your regular transcript when fall grades are processed.
  • Other UC Students: Transcripts are available after October 15.
  • Non-UC Students: Official hard copy transcripts are usually available after October 1.

To request an official transcript, visit MyUCLA.

Student Conduct

Student Participation Agreement

As part of the registration process, you agreed to stipulations in a comprehensive participation agreement and waiver of liability.

UCLA Student Code of Conduct

Your participation in a UCLA Travel Study Program makes you a representative of UCLA. Therefore, you must adhere to the UCLA Student Code of Conduct. Students are subject to disciplinary action for several types of misconduct or attempted misconduct, including but not limited to:

  • Dishonesty, such as cheating, multiple submission, plagiarism, or knowingly furnishing false information to the University;
  • Forgery, alteration, or misuse of University documents, keys, or identification;
  • Theft of, damage to, or destruction of any property of the University or property of others while on University premises, as well as on the premises of all property provided by the UCLA Travel Study Program;
  • Failure to pay bills for extra services or incidentals associated with the Travel Study program;
  • Unauthorized entry to or use of University properties, equipment, or resources, including those abroad;
  • Disruption of teaching, research, administration, or other University activities;
  • Physical abuse, threats of violence, rape, or other forms of sexual assault, or conduct that threatens the health or safety of any person on University property or in connection with official University functions, including those activities taking place abroad;
  • Disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, or failure to comply with the directions of a University employee acting in his/her official capacity;
  • Use, possession, sale, distribution, or manufacture of alcohol on University properties or at official University functions;
  • Unlawful use, possession, sale, distribution, or manufacture of controlled substances, identified in federal and state laws or regulations, on University properties or at official University functions.

Students in violation of the code of conduct will be expelled from the program at the instructor’s discretion. Violations of the code of conduct will be referred to the Dean of Students and may also result in a decision by the student’s UC campus to impose further sanctions, such as suspension or dismissal from the University.

In the event a student is expelled, the student is not eligible to receive a refund of any of the fees paid to UCLA. Expelled students will not be permitted to participate in any program activity or be entitled to any program benefits including, but not limited to, travel, meals, and housing. Furthermore, the student will be responsible for any additional costs incurred for lodging and transportation once expelled.


Drinking alcohol while socializing is common in many parts of the world. The attitude in some countries toward alcohol may be much different than in the United States. Drinking in some countries is part of the social experience, but not the focus of it. Excessive drinking or drunken behavior is not acceptable. Public drunkenness is illegal in many countries. If your consumption of alcohol becomes disruptive to your program, it is cause for immediate expulsion. If you choose to drink, please be responsible.

Avoiding Legal Difficulties

When you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws and are under its jurisdiction NOT the protection of the U.S. Constitution. You can be arrested overseas for actions that may be either legal or considered minor infractions in the United States. Be aware of what is considered criminal in the country where you are.

If you are arrested on a drug or criminal charge, it is important that you know what can and cannot be done. Always use your one phone call to contact the nearest United States embassy or consulate.

The U.S. Consular Officer CAN:

  • visit you in jail after being notified of your arrest;
  • give you a list of local attorneys;
  • intercede with local authorities to make sure your rights under local law are fully observed and that you are treated humanely;
  • protest mistreatment or abuse to the appropriate authorities.

The U.S. Consular Officer CANNOT:

  • demand your immediate release or get you out of jail;
  • represent you at trial or give legal counsel;
  • pay legal fees or fines with U.S. government funds.



All students on international Travel Study programs are required to have a valid passport. Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date you expect to return to the United States. Allow approximately 4-5 months for your passport application to be processed if you do not currently have a valid passport.

For information on obtaining a passport, visit the State Department Web site.


U.S. citizens will not need a visa to participate in most Travel Study programs.

Participants in certain programs will receive information about obtaining their visas.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, a tourist visa may be required. Please visit the consular Web sites for the countries you will be visiting for instructions on obtaining your tourist visa. Do not apply for a student visa.


You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to and from your program destination. Please wait to purchase airfare until notified by your program coordinator (typically late March/early April). Some programs may require you to arrange transportation during the program. Be sure to follow flight instructions for your program carefully.

We recommend shopping around for airfares early to get a sense of pricing and exploring refundable ticket options. 

There are also a variety of Web sites designed for booking air travel. You might compare flight prices on some of the following sites:

Accommodations and Meals

Travel Study housing is required for all participants and is restricted to enrolled participants only. Guests (includes spouses, children, other family members and friends) are not allowed in Travel Study housing or on any Travel Study related activity. The International Education Office does not assist with housing arrangements for family, friends, or other guests of Travel Study participants. The International Education Office does not make housing arrangements for students arriving prior to the program start date or after the program concludes. Participants must make their own housing arrangements for early arrivals and late departures.


Program accommodations are typically based on double or triple occupancy. You may request another program participant as your roommate anytime before April 1. Otherwise, a roommate will be selected for you. Please note that UCLA cannot accommodate requests for roommates of the opposite sex. If you did not indicate a roommate request at the time of registration, you may log in to the Registration Portal to make your request up until April 1. Both participants must request each other.

Vegetarian and Other Diets

When possible, we will try to provide vegetarian options at group meals. Please keep in mind that in many countries vegetarianism and veganism will not always be understood. Also, note that the diversity of food options available at home may not exist abroad. If vegetarian/vegan options exist in the country you are visiting, they may be quite limited. If you have other dietary restrictions, please be aware that the program may not be able to accommodate your needs. Be sure to notify the International Education Office of any dietary requirements you may have. We will do our best to accommodate you.

Safety in Housing
  • Keep your door locked at all times. Meet visitors in the lobby.
  • Do not leave money and other valuables in your room while you are out.
  • If you are staying in a hotel, use the hotel safe.
  • Let someone know when you expect to return if you are out late at night or leave town.
  • If you are alone, do not get on an elevator if there is a suspicious-looking person inside.
  • Do not tell strangers where you are staying.
  • Know how to report a fire. Be sure you know where the nearest fire exits and alternate exits are located.

Money Management

Careful planning of your finances is important. Adjusting to a new currency and to the prices in a new country can produce some anxiety.

As you prepare for your trip:
  • Create a budget for personal expenses (airfare, textbooks, meals, optional excursions, etc.). Remember, your budget will depend on personal choices about travel, food, entertainment, purchases, etc.
  • With regard to spending money, make it last the duration of your trip. Always overestimate your spending. Budget your extra food money first. When buying gifts or souvenirs think about how you will transport them home.
  • The exchange rates between the U.S. dollar and foreign currencies are not fixed. The rates change daily. Visit www.oanda.com to get a sense of how rates change.
  • It is best to take a combination of debit card, credit card, and a small amount of cash. Keep an accurate record of a credit card, ATM card, and travelers check numbers separate from the cards and checks themselves. Make a list of phone numbers to report lost or stolen cards and checks. Remember, 1-800 numbers do not work overseas.
  • Exchange about $100 before you depart. You will need some cash in local currency when you arrive at your destination. This will also give you an opportunity to become familiar with the currency.
  • Keep in mind that your bank may charge an ATM transaction fee for each withdrawal. Check with your bank before you go and include those fees in your budget.
  • Travel Study strongly recommends that all students travel with a credit card for emergency purposes. If you do not have a credit card, apply now.
Handling money and documents safely:
  • Withdraw cash from ATMs only as needed. Be aware of your surroundings when withdrawing money.
  • Do not flash large amounts of money when paying a bill. Make sure your credit card is returned to you after each transaction.
  • Only use authorized agents when you exchange money, buy airline tickets, or purchase souvenirs. Countersign traveler’s checks only in front of the person who will cash them.
  • If your possessions are lost or stolen, report the loss immediately to the local police. Keep a copy of the police report for insurance claims. Ask the police to provide you with an English translation of the police report (if necessary).
  • After reporting missing items to the police, report the loss or theft of:
    • travelers checks to the nearest agent of the issuing company;
    • credit cards to the issuing company;
    • airline tickets to the airline or travel agent;
    • passport to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Packing Tips

Always travel light: Limit yourself to one checked bag and one carry-on. You can move more quickly and will be more likely to have a free hand. You will also be less tired and less likely to set your luggage down, leaving it unattended.

Prescription medications: Remember to bring any prescription medication with you in your carry-on bag. Bring enough to last the duration of your trip. Keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country first.

Money: Bring ATM cards, one or two major credit cards, and $100 in the local currency. You may want to bring a few traveler’s checks for emergency backup.

Passport: Pack an extra set of passport photos along with a photocopy of your passport information page to make replacement of your passport easier in the event it is lost or stolen. Leave extra copies of these items with someone at home.

Airline tickets and travel itinerary: Make sure your itinerary is in order and the name on your airline ticket matches the name on your passport. Leave a copy of your itinerary with family or friends at home in case they need to contact you in an emergency.

Calling cards: Consider getting a telephone calling card. It is a convenient way of keeping in touch. If you have one, verify that you can use it from overseas locations (you may need to sign up for an international plan in order to get the lowest rates possible). 1-800 numbers do not work overseas, so find out the local toll-free access number for your calling card before you go.

Cell phones: If you have a dual or tri-band GSM (global system for mobile communications) cell phone, you may be able to use your phone internationally. To do this, have your cell service provider unlock your phone before you leave the U.S. Contact your cell phone provider for details on using your U.S. SIM card while abroad. In Europe and Asia, it is fairly easy and cheap to buy a local prepaid SIM card for your unlocked phone (this gives you a local telephone number while using the SIM card). If you do not have a GSM phone, many companies have world phones available for rent. Rental services are becoming more common in international airports, and it is usually less expensive to rent a phone in-country.

Security: Put your name, address and telephone numbers inside and outside of each piece of luggage. If possible, lock your luggage (consult the airline about their locked luggage policy). Don’t bring anything you would hate to lose. Leave at home:

  • valuable or expensive-looking jewelry; irreplaceable family objects;
  • all unnecessary credit cards;
  • Social Security card, library cards, and similar items you may routinely carry in your wallet.

If you lose your passport while traveling abroad, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. Please guard your passport well!

Health & Safety

Review the Health & Safety Guide


UCLA Travel Study
1332 Murphy Hall
International Education Office
Tel. 310-825-4995
Fax 310-825-1528
Advisors: Maureen Atalla, Erika Quiñonez, Danielle Samek

UCLA Financial Aid & Scholarships Office
(UCLA Students Only)
A129 Murphy Hall
Tel. 310-206-0400

UCLA Bookstore
Ackerman Student Union
Textbook Information: 310-206-0791

UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP)
Tel. 1-800-336-0627 (inside U.S.)

U.S. Passport Services

U.S. Department of State

Centers for Disease Control (CDC)