Frequently Asked Questions

Who can attend the Travel Study programs?Travel Study programs are open on a first-come, first-served basis. You do not have to be a UCLA student to participate, but you must be at least 18 years old and have completed high school before your program begins. Students are required to be in good academic standing during the quarter/semester prior to participation. Most programs are geared for undergraduates and offer undergraduate course credit. Our business language programs offer graduate-level course credit. Participants are typically college students ages 18 to 24.
How do I apply for a program?Click on any link to the Travel Study online registration. Be sure to read the registration information carefully. When your application has been submitted, you will receive a registration number on the screen and by e-mail. Be sure to keep this number for future reference. Upon completion of the application process, you will receive an e-mail informing you of the status of your application. In order to secure your spot, you must submit a nonrefundable $300 deposit through our secure online credit/debit card form. If you pay by credit/debit card, an additional 2.75% surcharge will be assessed. Payments by e-check will not incur this surcharge. Some programs require instructor consent. If you are applying for an instructor consent program, you will receive e-mails regarding your application status (the initial payment is not required until your application has been approved by the instructor).
Where can I find my registration number?Your registration number can be found in the subject line of your registration or confirmation e-mail. It is a one to four digit number. Contact Travel Study if you cannot locate the number.
How will I know if I have been admitted into the program?An e-mail notification will be sent to you upon completion of your application, informing you of the status of your application.
When is the last day to register for a program?We will accept registrations through March 24, 2023 at 11:59PM. However, all spaces are first-come, first-served for enrollment.
How do I pay the balance for my program?Final payments can be made via MyUCLA or by check at the Cashier’s Office in 1125 Murphy Hall.
When can I begin making final payments?Students can typically begin to make final payments beginning late February. Email reminders will be sent out when it is time to do so.
Can I register for more than one program?
You can sign up for two programs that do not have conflicting dates. If you plan to participate in two programs, please contact Travel Study. If program dates do not conflict and space is available, you will be enrolled in both programs. You will have to pay a nonrefundable $300 deposit for both programs. Contact Travel Study if you would like to register for more than one program.
Can I switch into another program?
Prior to the final payment deadline, you may switch if there are open spaces in the program you would like to switch into. If there aren’t any open spaces and you decide to switch, you will be placed on the waitlist and will lose your spot in your former program. You may not switch programs after the final payment deadline of March 24. To make a switch, retrieve your registration to make the update.
When do programs usually fill up?Some programs fill up as early as December and many programs are full by February. Since space cannot be guaranteed, it is a good idea to apply early.
What materials do I need to submit with my application?One scanned copy (in jpeg format) of the front page of your passport with your signature (international programs only) is due within 90 days of your application or by March 1, whichever comes sooner. You do not have to have your passport at the time of registration, but you will need to return to the system to update the number and submit the image of the front page once you receive it.
What is a Document Fee?This is a $50 one-time document fee which covers fees for first-class mailing of official transcripts, diploma and much more. Please visit the Registrar’s Office Website for more information.
How do I get a passport?You will need to contact the nearest passport agency. Many post offices offer passport services. The passport process takes 7-10 weeks (expedited service is available for an additional fee, but still takes 6 weeks). For more information, please visit U.S. Department of State.
What if I am unable to obtain a passport within 90 days of my application?If your passport is not ready within the 90-day deadline, do not worry. But be sure to turn in your passport photocopies as soon as possible -or- by March 1st, whichever comes first.
Where do I upload my passport and photo? Retrieve your registration to upload your passport scan and photo. Enter your details and scroll down to the bottom on the next page.
I am having trouble uploading my files. What should I do? You may email the files to IEO and we will upload them on your behalf.
Do I need to get a visa?If you are traveling under a non-U.S. passport, you should consult with the consulates for the countries you will be visiting to determine whether you need a tourist visa and/or any transit visas if you fly through another country en route to your destination.
Are there any immunizations required for my program?We recommend you visit the Centers for Disease Control’s website for more information about health and safety abroad. See below for COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
Is a COVID-19 vaccine required to participate on Travel Study?Per the University of California, a condition of physical presence at a location or in a University Program, all covered individuals must participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral: COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please see Policies page for full details and requirements.
For the language programs, how do I determine which level I should sign up for? To assist you with selecting the appropriate language curriculum, we have listed the prerequisites for each language level. If you are still not sure of your language abilities, we recommend that you consult directly with the program director.
Will the courses I take in the Travel Study program transfer to my school?
If you are a UC student, Travel Study program courses are UC-transferable and will automatically transfer to your UC transcript in the fall. Non-UC students should consult with an academic advisor and the Registrar’s Office at their home institution.
I am a past program participant. How can I request a transcript?Past participants can view and request transcripts on MyUCLA.
How do I enroll in more than 18 units during the summer quarter?UCLA students enrolling in over 18 units must fill out an “Excess Units” form available at their College.
I am applying for the JET program and need a letter confirming my participation in a UCLA Travel Study program. What should I do?Please e-mail Travel Study with your request. Specify whether you would like us to fax or email the letter. Include the appropriate details.
What will my housing be like?Housing varies from program to program. Visit the section called “Accommodations and Meals” for your program to read a description of the program housing. Complete details for housing, including address information, will be sent to all program participants in the spring.
Can I provide my own housing?Travel Study housing is required for all participants and is restricted to enrolled participants only. The cost of accommodations cannot be deducted from the program fee.
Can a guest stay with me in Travel Study housing?Guests (includes spouses, children, other family members and friends) are NOT allowed in Travel Study housing or on any Travel Study related activity. Travel Study does not assist with housing arrangements for family, friends, or other guests of Travel Study participants.
How will I receive information about my program?It is very important that you submit an e-mail address that you check regularly when filling out your application. You will receive several notices from Travel Study with important information about your program.
How do I cancel my participation in my program?Please do not enroll in a Travel Study program unless you are sure you intend to participate. Remember that your deposit is nonrefundable. See Cancellation Policy. The cancellation deadline is April 7, 2023 at 5PM. Paid program fees (minus $300 nonrefundable deposit) are refundable until April 7, 2023 at 5PM.
How do I drop a required course?Each Travel Study program consists of a required course curriculum. Students are automatically enrolled in this curriculum. These courses are mandatory and cannot be dropped. Substitutions for required courses may be requested, pending faculty approval.

More information about a program’s courses can be found on each program’s site under “Curriculum.”

How can I enroll in the optional course?Please contact the instructor to discuss the details of your project, and then enroll anytime beginning March 1, 2023 by adding courses through your registration portal by returning to your form and selecting the boxes for the appropriate courses (listed to the right-hand side of the row corresponding to your program). Faculty will approve your enrollment in the course(s) through our system. You can enroll up until the Friday of the second week of your program. Registration in Optional Course Registration Form will be available through your registration portal beginning March 1, 2023. Please note that optional fee-bearing courses must be paid for out of pocket and that financial aid is not adjusted until you have earned a grade in the course.
How do I drop an optional course?Optional courses may be dropped through MyUCLA with a refund up until August 25, 2023 for the optional course; optional courses may be dropped with no refund until the last day of Summer Session C, September 15, 2023.
What is the difference between UCLA’s Travel Study programs and the UC Education Abroad Program? UCLA Travel Study offers short-term programs during the summer only. Courses are part of the regular UCLA academic curriculum and are taught by UC faculty. Programs are open to anyone age 18 or older. There are no GPA requirements to participate. For UC students, courses automatically appear on your UC transcript. UC Education Abroad (UCEAP) is an exchange program which offers full-year, short-term, and summer programs. Students take courses at a foreign university, taught by that university’s faculty. UCEAP is for UC students only. There are GPA requirements to participate. Courses are transferable. UCEAP website for more information.
What is the difference between UCLA’s Travel Study programs and summer programs offered through other UC Summer Sessions Offices?Each UC Summer Sessions Office offers its own unique programming. Programs differ in content and location. To learn more about Travel Study programs at other UC campuses visit:
a. Berkeley Travel Study
b. UC Davis Summer Abroad
c. UC Riverside Travel Study
d. UCSD Global Seminars
What happens if my program is cancelled due to low enrollment by UCLA Travel Study?We encourage interested students to register by the end of January both to secure a place on the program and to help Travel Study have a reliable sense of student interest. Programs with significant under-enrollment are subject to cancellation. If a program is cancelled by Travel Study, students will be offered either a refund of their deposit -or- to switch to a relevant open program, pending availability.