Major and Minor Credit for EAP Courses

ALL units and grades transfer automatically to your UCLA transcript and count towards the 180 units needed for graduation.

However, applying EAP courses for major, minor, college, or school requirements MUST be petitioned with the department, college, or school — Policies vary so be sure to examine the requirements for your department and/or college or school and speak with your department counselor/advisor.

Researching EAP courses for Major/Minor Requirements:

  1. Review the courses/policies required for your major/minor (often on department websites), including those that must be taken at UCLA.
  2. Search for EAP coursework to fulfill your department’s requirements:
    • Using the Course Finder — a database of the last 5 years of coursework taken by previous EAP students
    • Visit the website of your intended university — often you can find more complete and up-to-date course listings
    • Visit your department office — some departments keep a record of EAP courses previously approved for major/minor credit

The Academic Planning Form (APF)

The EAP online application includes this form. After reviewing your major/minor requirements, take information (syllabi, course descriptions, etc.) about courses you plan to take abroad to your major/minor advisor for their feedback and signature. In most cases, departments will not guarantee that a particular course abroad will fulfill a particular requirement however, advisors can provide useful feedback about the likelihood of courses to be approved.

Ongoing communication

Once abroad, we encourage you to keep in touch via e-mail with your advisors on their opinion about the actual courses that you plan to take.

When you return to UCLA after EAP, bring with you all evidence (syllabi, exams, projects, papers, etc.) of work that you completed for the petitioning process. Carry this material with you on your return flight and mail a set of copies to California so to be sure one set arrives safely. This information is too valuable to lose!