UCLA Summer Global Cities Student Guide

The following Student Guide provides essential information for all participants of UCLA Summer Global Cities program. All students are responsible for reviewing and understanding the Student Guide.

Registration Portal

As a registered Global Cities program participant, you can access your online application for important program details and update some of your personal information.

Through the Registration Portal, participants can:

  • Upload a digital photo and copy of your passport
  • Switch from one program to another
  • Cancel your participation
  • Update your passport information
  • Update your health history
  • Learn about your next steps!


Through MyUCLA, participants can:

  • View and update third-party authorization
  • View course enrollments (beginning March)
  • Pay program final balance (early March – April 10)
  • View grades and order transcripts (beginning October)



A $300 non-refundable deposit is required after January 15, in order to secure your space on a Global Cities program. This deposit will be applied to your program fee.

Final Payment

Final payment for your  program is due April 10 , 2021. You will not receive a paper billing statement in the mail. E-mail reminders will be sent to you. You may review your balance on MyUCLA beginning in March. 

The final payment deadline is deferred for eligible Financial Aid students (who have completed all of the financial aid requirements, documentation, processes, etc.).

UCLA financial aid will disburse directly to the student’s billing account. 

Students eligible for Veteran Benefits should submit a Veteran Benefits Agreement Form by April 10, 2021 in order to defer the final payment. Please also contact the Veteran Benefits Coordinator Ryan Redding by email at rredding@registrar.ucla.edu.

Cancellation and Refunds

Cancellation Policy

If you cancel your registration, the following applies:

  • The $300 deposit is not refundable under any circumstance
  • Paid program fees (minus the $300 deposit) are refundable until April 10, 2021
  • No refunds are available after April 10, 2021
  • Cancellation and refund policies apply to ALL Financial Aid students as well
  • Failure to cancel prior to the April 10 deadline will result in a bill for the full program fee. Financial aid is not available for students who cancel their program.

In order to cancel once you have registered, please access the Registration Portal and select the “Cancel My Registration” button. After April 10, students must submit a cancellation form to the International Education Office. Please do not enroll in the Global Cities program unless you are sure you intend to participate.

In the event that Global Cities must cancel a program, all registered students will be notified immediately and given a full refund of program fees (including the $300 deposit).

Withdrawals after a program has begun

UCLA discourages students from withdrawing after a program has begun. Successful programs require the full participation of all students, and we hope students are prepared to complete the program. However, we recognize that, due to unforeseen circumstances, some students may need to leave a program early. In these rare instances, students must contact their program advisor and complete a withdrawal form obtained from the UCLA International Education Office.

Courses and Credit Transfer

Required Courses

Students must select two (2) UCLA courses and two (2) Host University courses  from the approved course list available on the Global Cities Website.  Students can review their course enrollments beginning of March on MyUCLA.

Optional Fee-Bearing Courses

Students who intend to apply for full-time Financial Aid support must enroll in the optional 199 Directed Research course for Summer Session A, in addition to the other required courses.

Optional Course Fees: $279 per unit for UCLA Undergrad Students.

For more information about required and optional courses for your program, please visit the curriculum section of the program website.

GPA Requirement

Each program has a different GPA requirement. Please visit the program website for information.

Grades and Transcripts

All courses taken at the host university have been pre-approved by UCLA for credit transfer. Some courses will also fulfill language, GE and Diversity requirements. After completing your summer program abroad, your transcript will be sent to IEO and we will submit it to the Registrar’s Office, who will post the credits.

Student Conduct

Student Participation Agreement

As part of the registration process, you agreed to stipulations in a comprehensive participation agreement and waiver of liability.

UCLA Student Code of Conduct

Your participation in the UCLA Global Cities Program makes you a representative of UCLA. Therefore, you must adhere to the UCLA Student Code of Conduct. Students are subject to disciplinary action for several types of misconduct or attempted misconduct, including but not limited to:

  • Dishonesty, such as cheating, multiple submission, plagiarism, or knowingly furnishing false information to the University;
  • Forgery, alteration, or misuse of University documents, keys, or identification;
  • Theft of, damage to, or destruction of any property of the University or property of others while on University premises, as well as on the premises of all property provided by your study abroad program;
  • Failure to pay bills for extra services or incidentals associated with the Global Cities program;
  • Unauthorized entry to or use of University properties, equipment, or resources, including those abroad;
  • Disruption of teaching, research, administration, or other University activities;
  • Physical abuse, threats of violence, rape, or other forms of sexual assault, or conduct that threatens the health or safety of any person on University property or in connection with official University functions, including those activities taking place abroad;
  • Disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, or failure to comply with the directions of a University employee acting in his/her official capacity;
  • Use, possession, sale, distribution, or manufacture of alcohol on University properties or at official University functions;
  • Unlawful use, possession, sale, distribution, or manufacture of controlled substances, identified in federal and state laws or regulations, on University properties or at official University functions.

Students in violation of the code of conduct will be expelled from the program at the instructor’s discretion. Violations of the code of conduct will be referred to the Dean of Students and may also result in a decision by the student’s UC campus to impose further sanctions, such as suspension or dismissal from the University.

In the event a student is expelled, the student is not eligible to receive a refund of any of the fees paid to UCLA. Expelled students will not be permitted to participate in any program activity or be entitled to any program benefits. Furthermore, the student will be responsible for any additional costs incurred for lodging and transportation once expelled.


Drinking alcohol while socializing is common in many parts of the world. The attitude in some countries toward alcohol may be much different than in the United States. Drinking in some countries is part of the social experience, but not the focus of it. Excessive drinking or drunken behavior is not acceptable. Public drunkenness is illegal in many countries. If your consumption of alcohol becomes disruptive to your program, it is cause for immediate expulsion. If you choose to drink, please be responsible.

Avoiding Legal Difficulties

When you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws and are under its jurisdiction NOT the protection of the U.S. Constitution. You can be arrested overseas for actions that may be either legal or considered minor infractions in the United States. Be aware of what is considered criminal in the country where you are.

If you are arrested on a drug or criminal charge, it is important that you know what can and cannot be done. Always use your one phone call to contact the nearest United States embassy or consulate.

The U.S. Consular Officer CAN:

  • visit you in jail after being notified of your arrest;
  • give you a list of local attorneys;
  • intercede with local authorities to make sure your rights under local law are fully observed and that you are treated humanely;
  • protest mistreatment or abuse to the appropriate authorities.

The U.S. Consular Officer CANNOT:

  • demand your immediate release or get you out of jail;
  • represent you at trial or give legal counsel;
  • pay legal fees or fines with U.S. government funds.



All students are required to have a valid passport. Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date you expect to return to the United States. Allow approximately three to six weeks for your passport application to be processed if you do not currently have a valid passport.

For information on obtaining a passport, visit the State Department Web site.


U.S. citizens will not need a visa to participate in the Global Cities programs.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, a tourist visa may be required. Please visit the consular Web sites for the countries you will be visiting for instructions on obtaining your tourist visa. Do not apply for a student visa.


You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to and from your program destination. We recommend waiting until late March/early April to book flights for your program. Be sure to follow flight instructions for your program carefully.

We recommend shopping around for airfares as soon as possible. If you need assistance with air travel, STA Travel can assist you.

There are also a variety of Web sites designed for booking air travel. You might compare flight prices on some of the following sites:

Accommodations and Meals

Students must make their own housing arrangements, except for students attending VU Amsterdam. The Host University, through agreements with third-party providers, can offer off-campus housing for a discounted price. Students must contact the providers directly to secure their housing. More information is provided on the Global Cities website. Students will also be in full control of their meals. They may choose to cook (when accommodation allows), eat at the host university cafeteria or select other restaurants/eateries around campus.

Safety in Housing
  • Keep your door locked at all times. Meet visitors in the lobby.
  • Do not leave money and other valuables in your room while you are out.
  • If you are staying in a hotel, use the hotel safe.
  • Let someone know when you expect to return if you are out late at night or leave town.
  • If you are alone, do not get on an elevator if there is a suspicious-looking person inside.
  • Do not tell strangers where you are staying.
  • Know how to report a fire. Be sure you know where the nearest fire exits and alternate exits are located.

Money Management

Careful planning of your finances is important. Adjusting to a new currency and to the prices in a new country can produce some anxiety.

As you prepare for your trip:
  • Create a budget for personal expenses (airfare, textbooks, meals, optional excursions, etc.). Remember, your budget will depend on personal choices about travel, food, entertainment, purchases, etc.
  • With regard to spending money, make it last the duration of your trip. Always overestimate your spending. Budget your extra food money first. When buying gifts or souvenirs think about how you will transport them home.
  • The exchange rates between the U.S. dollar and foreign currencies are not fixed. The rates change daily. Visit www.oanda.com to get a sense of how rates change.
  • It is best to take a combination of debit card, credit card, and a small amount of cash. Keep an accurate record of a credit card, ATM card, and travelers check numbers separate from the cards and checks themselves. Make a list of phone numbers to report lost or stolen cards and checks. Remember, 1-800 numbers do not work overseas.
  • Exchange about $100 before you depart. You will need some cash in local currency when you arrive at your destination. This will also give you an opportunity to become familiar with the currency.
  • Keep in mind that your bank may charge an ATM transaction fee for each withdrawal. Check with your bank before you go and include those fees in your budget.
  • We strongly recommends that all students travel with a credit card for emergency purposes. If you do not have a credit card, apply now.
Handling money and documents safely:
  • Withdraw cash from ATMs only as needed. Be aware of your surroundings when withdrawing money.
  • Do not flash large amounts of money when paying a bill. Make sure your credit card is returned to you after each transaction.
  • Only use authorized agents when you exchange money, buy airline tickets, or purchase souvenirs. Countersign traveler’s checks only in front of the person who will cash them.
  • If your possessions are lost or stolen, report the loss immediately to the local police. Keep a copy of the police report for insurance claims. Ask the police to provide you with an English translation of the police report (if necessary).
  • After reporting missing items to the police, report the loss or theft of:
    • travelers checks to the nearest agent of the issuing company;
    • credit cards to the issuing company;
    • airline tickets to the airline or travel agent;
    • passport to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Packing Tips

Always travel light: Limit yourself to one checked bag and one carry-on.You can move more quickly and will be more likely to have a free hand. You will also be less tired and less likely to set your luggage down, leaving it unattended.

Prescription medications: Remember to bring any prescription medication with you in your carry-on bag. Bring enough to last the duration of your trip. Keep medicines in their original, labeled containers. Bring copies of your prescriptions and the generic names for the drugs. If a medication is unusual or contains narcotics, carry a letter from your doctor attesting to your need to take the drug. If you have any doubt about the legality of carrying a certain drug into a country, consult the embassy or consulate of that country first.

Money: Bring ATM cards, one or two major credit cards, and $100 in the local currency. You may want to bring a few traveler’s checks for emergency backup.

Passport: Pack an extra set of passport photos along with a photocopy of your passport information page to make replacement of your passport easier in the event it is lost or stolen. Leave extra copies of these items with someone at home.

Airline tickets and travel itinerary: Make sure your itinerary is in order and the name on your airline ticket matches the name on your passport. Leave a copy of your itinerary with family or friends at home in case they need to contact you in an emergency.

Calling cards: Consider getting a telephone calling card. It is a convenient way of keeping in touch. If you have one, verify that you can use it from overseas locations (you may need to sign up for an international plan in order to get the lowest rates possible). 1-800 numbers do not work overseas, so find out the local toll-free access number for your calling card before you go.

Cell phones: If you have a dual or tri-band GSM (global system for mobile communications) cell phone, you may be able to use your phone internationally. To do this, have your cell service provider unlock your phone before you leave the U.S. Contact your cell phone provider for details on using your U.S. SIM card while abroad. In Europe and Asia, it is fairly easy and cheap to buy a local prepaid SIM card for your unlocked phone (this gives you a local telephone number while using the SIM card). If you do not have a GSM phone, many companies have world phones available for rent. Rental services are becoming more common in international airports, and it is usually less expensive to rent a phone in-country.

Security: Put your name, address and telephone numbers inside and outside of each piece of luggage. If possible, lock your luggage (consult the airline about their locked luggage policy). Don’t bring anything you would hate to lose. Leave at home:

  • valuable or expensive-looking jewelry; irreplaceable family objects;
  • all unnecessary credit cards;
  • Social Security card, library cards, and similar items you may routinely carry in your wallet.

If you lose your passport while traveling abroad, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. Please guard your passport well!

Health & Safety

Review the Health & Safety Guide


UCLA Global Cities Program
1332 Murphy Hall
International Education Office
Tel. 310-825-4995
Fax 310-825-1528
Advisor: Wilsi Lieux

UCLA Financial Aid & Scholarships Office
A129 Murphy Hall
Tel. 310-206-0400

UCLA Bookstore
Ackerman Student Union
Textbook Information: 310-206-0791

UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP)
Tel. 1-800-336-0627 (inside U.S.)

U.S. Passport Services

U.S. Department of State

Centers for Disease Control (CDC)